TORONTO — After a two-year hiatus fuelled by the pandemic, the 9th-annual Spirit Awards returned last week as a live event held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. The awards program, produced by the Greater Toronto Hotel Association, and sponsored by Marriott International, celebrates the exceptional ambassadors in the hotel community of Greater Toronto.
Tim Reardon, GM of the Sheraton Centre Toronto and Chair of the GTHA Board of Directors welcomed more than 570 guests attending the celebration, stressing how wonderful it was to be back face to face, after the turmoil of the past two years, and thanked the industry’s employees for their commitment and dedication amidst challenging times. Frank Feragina, from Breakfast Television served as MC of the event, adding a touch of levity and fun to the awards presentation.
According to Emily Dickinson, vice-president, Operations, GTHA, “All those nominated are exceptional in their field of service and we thank you for your commitment and dedication to this industry. Our congratulations go to each nominee and award winner for their exceptional service.”
Awards were presented in 18 different categories, ranging from Accounting Ambassador of the Year to Food & Beverage Outlets Ambassador of the Year. The presentation of the Lifetime Achievement Award capped off the afternoon and was this year presented to Virgilio Ferreira of the Fairmont Royal York Hotel.
Here is the full list of winners:
- Accounting Ambassador of the Year Elaine Thompson, Chelsea Hotel Toronto
- Administration Ambassador of the Year Anna Criselda Aquino, The Westin Harbour Castle
- Banquet Ambassador of the Year Wickham Lee, Intercontinental Toronto Centre
- Bell Person Ambassador of the Year Barry Howell, The Westin Harbour Castle
- Concierge of the Year Anna Godzina, Marriott Downtown at CF Toronto Eaton Centre
- Culinary Ambassador of the Year Peggy Tyrrell, Hilton Mississauga Meadowvale
- Engineering Ambassador of the Year Joseph Anandappa, Delta Hotels by Marriott Toronto Mississauga
- Food and Beverage Outlets Ambassador of the Year, Jana Gallart Ferrari, 1 Hotel Toronto
- Guest Services Ambassador of the Year Indrani Roy, The Ritz-Carlton Toronto
- Housekeeping Room Attendant Ambassador of the Year, Gail Dupuis, Strathcona Hotel
- Housekeeping Support Service Ambassador of the Year Aproniano Corrales, DoubleTree by Hilton Toronto Downtown
- Laundry Ambassador of the Year Audrey Heron, Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Virgilio Ferreira, Fairmont Royal York
- Reservations Ambassador of the Year Kevin Roberts, One King West Hotel & Residence
- Security Ambassador of the Year Alin Diaconescu, Chelsea Hotel Toronto
- Steward of the Year Eden Kilroy, Park Hyatt Toronto
- Switchboard Operator of the Year Liliane Theodore, Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport
- Valet/Door Person/Shuttle Driver, Jaleny Adem, Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel