TORONTO —The Greater Toronto Hotel Association (GTHA) hosted the 10th-annual Spirit Awards on November 10 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, honouring the outstanding achievements and contributions of hotel industry professionals in the Greater Toronto Area. The event was attended by nearly 700 guests, including hotel owners, managers, staff and industry partners.
The Spirit Awards received a record 318 nominations for hotel employees who have demonstrated excellence, professionalism and innovation in their respective fields of service. The awards were presented in 18 categories, covering various aspects of hotel operations and services.
Recipients were selected by a panel of judges that evaluated the nominations based on the criteria of each category. The winners were announced by the emcee of the event, Devo Brown, who is a host on CityTV’s Breakfast Television.
“This year marks the 10th anniversary of the Spirit Awards, and we are thrilled to celebrate the service, dedication, and spirit of these remarkable ambassadors,” said Sara Anghel, president & CEO of the GTHA. “All those nominated are exceptional in their field of service and we thank you for your commitment and passion for the hospitality industry. Our congratulations go out to each nominee and award winner for their outstanding service.”
The winners of the GTHA’s 10th Annual Spirit Awards are:
- Accounting Ambassador of the Year: Donna Caoili, Fairmont Royal York
- Administration Ambassador of the Year: Hardik Mhatre, Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport
- Banquet Ambassador of the Year: Marek Purgat, Delta Hotels by Marriott Toronto Mississauga
- Bell Person Ambassador of the Year: Ronald Ellis, Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel
- Concierge of the Year: Nathan Lyon-Stewart, Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
- Culinary Ambassador of the Year: Nikkie Sibal, 1 Hotel Toronto
- Engineering Ambassador of the Year: Shameel (Terry) Khan, Hotel X Toronto
- Food and Beverage Outlets Ambassador of the Year: Adam Hartwell, Novotel Toronto North York
- Guest Services Ambassador of the Year: Angela Valentine-Ennis, Embassy Suites by Hilton Toronto Airport
- Housekeeping Room Attendant Ambassador of the Year: Alem Mezegebo, Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel
- Housekeeping Support Services Ambassador of the Year: Carlos Loberes, Hilton Toronto
- Laundry Ambassador of the Year: Rosa Silveira, Westin Toronto Airport
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Reflor Spencer, Courtyard & TownPlace Suites Toronto Northeast Markham
- Reservations Ambassador of the Year: Sharon Lim, The Westin Harbour Castle
- Security Ambassador of the Year: Darren Adams, Marriott Downtown at CF Toronto Eaton Centre
- Steward of the Year: Kodeeswaran Ratnam, Hyatt Regency Toronto
- Switchboard Operator of the Year: Carol Hendry, Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
- Valet/ Door Person/ Shuttle Driver Ambassador of the Year: Nicolas Sanson, Park Hyatt Toronto