WASHINGTON, D.C. — A new international awards program has been launched to recognize women in the travel and tourism industry. The inaugural Women in Travel and Tourism International (WITTI) Awards are the first of its kind.
“Most people who make their living in the travel industry are women, ranging from travel agents and advisors, managers of hotel food-and-beverage departments, to leaders of reservations at airlines and hotels,” says Laura Mandala, CEO of Mandala Research and head of WITTI. “Yet disproportionately few are represented in the most senior ranks of travel-and-tourism organizations.”
The awards, hosted by WITTI, are the first in a long list of activities the organization conducts as part of its commitment to supporting, educating and advocating for women who work in the travel industry. This year, awards will be given to those who exemplify excellence and achievement in the following categories:
• Outstanding Woman in Destination Management/Marketing
• Outstanding Woman in Hospitality
• Outstanding Woman in Shopping Tourism
• Outstanding Woman in Travel and Transportation
• Lifetime Achievement in Travel and Tourism
• Rising Star in Travel and Tourism
• Outstanding Woman in Tourism Marketing
• Outstanding Woman in Travel/Tourism Media
• Outstanding Woman in Travel Research
• Outstanding Mentor in Travel and Tourism
The awards will be presented at the annual Women in Travel and Tourism brunch during the IPW conference of the U.S. Travel Association on June 4 in Washington D.C. Nominations for the awards will be accepted until May 5, 2017. More information on how to enter and vote is available here.