MILLBROOK, N.S. — Today, Bill Casey, M.P. for Cumberland-Colchester, on behalf of the Honourable Carolyn Bennett, Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs, participated in the grand opening of the Hampton Inn and Suites located at the Millbrook First Nation in Truro, N.S.

Thanks to a $1 million investment through Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada’s (INAC) Community Opportunity Readiness Program (CORP), the Millbrook First Nation was able to reach majority ownership of the hotel. The Millbrook First Nation, which also owns the Truro Power Centre, holds 51 per cent of the hotel while the remaining 49 per cent is owned by Maplewood Hospitality.

“Economic development projects such as this one go a long way towards providing Indigenous communities with the capacity, tools and resources they need to prosper and provide more services and amenities to their members — that’s why I’m proud we are supporting this initiative,” says Casey.

The 94-room hotel is the first Hampton Inn on reserve land and represents the “continuation of our long-time partnership with Glenn Squires and Pacrim Hospitality as a business partner and operator of the hotel,” says Bob Gloade, chief, Millbrook First Nation. “More importantly it provides employment opportunities for community members, which is the key for future economic development as Millbrook continues to grow going forward.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.